Wednesday 13 April 2016

Task 3a: Current Networks

Initial thoughts on Reader 3

Including comments from 13.04.16 Skype session with Paula 

I did not value nor understand networking until I first stepped into the working world only then did things begin to un fold.I learnt how to talk to people professionally via different ways e.g. letter, text, email and in person and I also learnt how to approach and speak to different members of staff, for example I would not speak to my boss the same way that I would speak to another dance teacher.  It was in this professional environment that I also learnt that it often is who you know and not what you know and  I learnt about the grey area in-between which is opportunity.

Current networks-My initial thoughts were that I only had two networks which are, Social e.g. friends and then Professional, after more thought I have discovered that I have different 'pockets'  of people in my networks. I found out that I have Friends, Family, Performing Arts Teachers, Dance Schools, Primary school teachers, Head teachers, College dancers, Old and new Co-workers in performance and the education system. I have never sat down and thought about my networking nor the mix of professional and personal networks that I have.  

When I was training at college our tutors spoke about networking and that you need to be out there, get your face seen by other dancers, choreographers and directors. It became very clear to me once I left college just how important this was and still is. However now I have moved out of the performance side and I am purely focusing on moving into education, my professional networking has developed and changed however I have not let the previous networks completed die out. I have had to develop them slightly for example  I am no longer in as much contact with the girls who perform as our conversations do not apply to either of us, but I  am in contact with previous choreographers, tutors, performing arts teachers and friends within the arts. It is vey interesting as I had not realised this before I read reader 3 the shift in my networks. 

In the Skype session we discussed how certain groups or individuals have an influence and how some have more than others, this lead us on to talk about how we network using the internet, somebody mentioned that networking online is "unprofessional but professional at the same time" I  found this really interesting as I couldn't agree more, I have dancers, current and ex co -workers, friends, family and dance teachers on social media that I communicate with about professional things but it's not the most professional way but it is the only option. We then spoke about technology and communication further and discussed the important point that we were all communicating via internet for our session. 

During the Skype conversation we spoke about the different ways you can network, email, letters, phone call, text, Skype and face to face, we briefly spoke about who you do what with and what is deemed appropriate. Paula spoke about communicating outside of your comfort zone and who and how you communicate is often key.  I know that when I left college and then I had one of my tutors on Facebook it felt very strange as we had such a professional but friendly relationship that I found it difficult to see pictures of his wedding or a boozy night out, which is very silly because of course he is a normal person but before we had held such a professional relationship it was strange to cross the boundary and develop into more of a friends network 'pocket'. We also touched on the fact about language and what we deem appropriate for certain people within our networks, Laura made a really interesting point about the way you talk and communicate is different this higher you go up through a school, this is something I do everyday but hadn't actually realised that I do it, I found that very interesting and I am going to write in my journal about the way I speak to teachers and other members of staff tomorrow when I'm at work to see if I do approach members of staff differently. 



 Looking through reader 3 and discovering the concepts of the professional network has enlightened to me just how little knowledge I held before this course about networking. I am really looking forward to discovering more about networking and discovering if any of these theories are apparent in my work place. Overall I really learnt a lot from the Skype session I found everyones experiences and views really interesting and I am looking forward to the next one. 

Please feel free to leave me comments on the topics I have brought up or if you feel I have missed anything from the Skype session.Also if you want to share any ideas you had initially with reader 3, it would be great to discuss thoughts and ideas about it. 

Thanks for reading, chat soon. 


2 comments:

  1. Hi Lois-May, Loved hearing some very interesting points that you made in this evenings session! and I totally agree about not understanding networking or appreciating it fully before embarking A) in full time work where communication is key and B) on this course.

    I found it interesting this evening how despite us all being in very different environments, whether it be audition/teaching/crusing we all still have to have a concept and a basic understanding of how to network efficiently - I have not yet read reader 3 but I am sure I will have my own views and opinions that I will be able to share with you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A really interesting read. Such a shame I couldn't make the evening session due to work, sounds like you all learnt a lot. I also read through Reader 3 and didn't quite realize just how many different forms of networking there are.

    Networking was something I never thought of until I started to auditioning around Europe so I'm sad I missed other peoples experiences on the Skype session.

    Again, great post.

    ReplyDelete