Sunday 9 October 2016

Skype 07.10.2016

Skype Session
The session lead by Adesola proved to be incredibly informative and changed my thought process and my view on module 2. 

The imagery Adesola told us had helped me to realise I don't need the correct answer right now it need to develop. See your inquiry as a ball of clay or a lump of wood that is going to take time to create or carve- Take time to fully form the question- sculpt. 

During the Skype session we spoke about making assumptions in our inquiry questions. We all spoke about the obvious assumptions that I had made in my question. Below is my initial question, I knew it needed to be developed and I was stuck on how to develop it. The Skype has helped me immensely and I have now taken a new turn in my journey. 

"What makes a good teacher?"

 Good- What us good? Good isn't definable, we don't know what good is! 
Teacher- A teacher could be anybody, you can not define a teacher. 

Instead I should be asking questions like, what do you see as being a teacher? What do you think good teaching practise is? 
This way I will find answers to my inquire not evidence to back up my views or opinions that already exist. 

Something that Adesola said has changed how I now look at my inquiry question, Adesola said "What would you love to learn more about?" We went on to discuss that this is what your inquiry should be about to help you in your professional practise, not an old interest rekindled but something new that is pushing you forward to the next part in our careers. 

The most important thing that I discovered from the Skype was because of what Megan was saying that she was working in the past as if she was in module 1, this made me realise that I am working too far in the future. I know that I would like a career in teaching and to develop my teaching practise, so I formed a question without realising, in order for the question to  give me the answers, therefore it was riddle with assumptions. Now I know that I need to find exactly what I would love to learn more about and to ask other questions to find my own question. 

Below is a photo of the notes that I made during the session. 


The Skype has left me with new questions to investigate.
  1. What would I love to learn?
  2. What is a teacher?
  3. Why do I want to teach?
  4. Why do others teach?
  5. What does teaching mean to me?
  6. Differences in Primary and Dance teaching
  7. Does mindfulness help children to behave better?
  8. Behaviour management techniques
  9. Types of teachers


2 comments:

  1. Lois thanks for this. Another important step is using the expertise of others to inform your thinking - so use Google and Summon to help you look up the meaning of 'teaching' and being a 'teacher'? what level? what is the context? when you use sources - try to find ones that compliment your inquiry topic in terms of currency - so up to date - and related to the age/type of teaching/pedagogy. There are boxes on the My Learning space to link you to the Library - or go straight to Summon and the library guides. Same goes for looking up other concepts - find key words for your search -look up 'love' my blog called and see 2 blog devoted to finding search phrases. Good luck in your searches !!!

    http://www.teachhub.com/teaching-profession
    http://devmts.org.uk/profnal.pdf

    ReplyDelete