Thursday 1 October 2015


A warm welcome to my blog! My name is Lois-May Hunt, my first ever blog is about how the BAPP Course is the next step of my professional journey.

 My earliest recollection of wanting to dance and perform as a career was when I first watched my first show at our local theatre. The feelings I felt after that performance made me want to give others that authorial. I wanted to sing, act and move and learn the steps, I wanted to be up there like them. I danced all the way through school gaining my GCSEs and A- level Dance and Drama qualifications, outside of school I attended Mayhem Theatre Arts where I completed my I.S.T.D exams in tap, ballet and modern.


 I auditioned for colleges and got excepted to places like Body Works and Performers but due to high fees I was forced to take a year out to find another way to train. This made me even more determined, in this year I discovered that choreographing and teaching is what I truly enjoyed. I got my place at North London Dance Studios and trained for 2 years gaining my I.S.T.D Teaching Qualifications.Through college I entered choreographing competitions and kept up with my teaching commitments. 

After leaving college  It was full steam a head auditions and choreographing away from home, I craved stability. I also felt that I wanted to share my passion with others, a performers life could feel very lonely at times and this did not suit my personality. This lead me back down the teaching/choreographing route. 
I am now a full time dance/gymnastic  PPA and CPD teacher in Primary schools across the Barnet borough. I truly love this job and it provides me with the stability I longed for when I was a performer. I would love to progress in the teaching world possibly becoming a Primary School Teacher.  So thats how I'm here starting my journey on the BAPP Course with you lovely people! If I hadn't of taken this journey I would never of made it here. Looking forward to getting started, please follow.



Thank- You for reading any comments are really appreciated!




4 comments:

  1. Hi Lois-May

    Reading this was really interesting for me. Not only did I get to know you as a person, addtionally I got to understand how you arrived at the decision to take this course and I find that I have taken a similar decisions to you along the way.

    I myself was watching a show one day in the theatre with my mum and just knew there and then that "I wanted to be up there like them" as you said. I got an overwhelming urge of wanting to learn the choroegraphy so I could be a part of the show as well.

    Additionally I took GCSE's, ALevels and furthered my dance education at Bodyworks. Having entered the industry I now have a passion to share what I know and teach much like yourself, as well as providing some stability for my future which is hard to find in the dance industry.

    I admire your determination to continue with the performing arts even after a set back. I strongly believe everything happens for a reason and i looks like it worked out that way for you.
    Lizzie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lizzie,
    Thanks for your comment nice to know someone else has made decisions similar because you can often feel like your alone making them ! Looking forward to more of your comments because you have provided some really interesting information about yourself and shown some similarities between us!

    Lois

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the first post! Interesting to hear about how you wanted stability in a career. I feel as though when people begin their training as performers many don't fully understand how unstable a performer's life can be and often don't consider how this might affect you as an individual. I know I certainty didn't! Perhaps if young people were made more aware of this they would make different decisions or maybe stability is something you only consider or fully understand when you're older ... It would be interesting to hear other people's thoughts about this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great comment madeleine, I completely agree it would be really interesting to know whether it was lack of knowledge about the career or the age you start training. For me I was passionate and loved it and wanted it, but as i have grown older I have discovered more things about myself and my personality does not match the dream. Instead, by knowing more about myself it has diverted my career and made me a happier person now there is more stability.
    It took me a long time to come to terms with the new findings about myself and realisation that the career I had dreamed of is not suited to me at this moment in time. Tough choices !! any thoughts and options welcomed..... anyone had a similar experience ??

    ReplyDelete